Check out this spotlight for Fantasy/Sci-fi author Niranjan, a.k.a. Geetha Krishnan & Rari Rajesh!
You can find all her links furthest down the page, and don’t forget to check out her books!
1. Hi! Welcome to my humble blog of all things bookish! I would like for us to start by getting to know you. Give us a short bio, please!
I am Rari, and I write fantasy and Sci Fi books under the penname of Niranjan which is the name of my son who is no more. I am from India and I live with my partner and our daughter.
I am a boring person, really, and all I do, apart from writing, reading and chores is watch C Dramas and write fanfics.
I also write books based on Hindu Mythology under the name of Geetha Krishnan, which is my legal name. My books Ayana the Journey and Pradyutita have both made it into the semi finals of SPFBO in 2019 and 2020 respectively.
I have also published a volume of poetry and a mystery and a thriller under the name of Rari Rajesh.
2. Tell us 5 fun facts people might not know about you!
I’m really an open book, so I’m not sure there’s anything no one knows about me. I always overshare, so really, nothing to tell, I think?
- I pout and sulk worse than a child if I don’t get my own way.
- I roleplay with my daughter.
- I simp over the character Jiang Cheng from the book, Mo Dao Zu Shi, based on which the TV show The Untamed is made (Though everyone who has read my fanfics may know this already).
- My daughter calls me a toddler most of the time (She’s 16).
- I have a cover addiction (my cover collection is at 83 now)
3. To get to know you just a little bit better, I’d like to ask you some “This or That”-questions. Answer 5 of these and explain why you chose this or that, or maybe an entirely different alternative!
Ebooks OR physical books? Ebooks to read these days because my eyesight isn’t what it once was, but I always buy physical books when I like the ebook
First person view OR third person view? I write and read both, but I do have a slight bias towards third person
Standalone OR series? To write, standalones, to read, both, though I’m always afraid of series not getting finished, so now I don’t start any unless it’s already complete
Read multiple books OR one at a time? Depends on how I feel. I can do multiple, but mostly my brain prefers to fixate on one, unlike when I write when I need multipe WIPs to keep my brain engaged
Signed edition OR first edition? Signed edition, always
Graphic novels OR comic books? Hm… comic books
Plot driven OR character driven? Character driven, always.
Zombies OR dragons? Dragons
Witches OR vampires? Can I choose both? Lol, I didn’t actually care for vampires till I started writing them, so now I am kind of attached to them, and witches are always my favourites
Shop at an actual bookstore OR shop books online? At present, online because I’m too lazy to get dressed and get out of the house
Hero OR anti-hero? Again, depends. I mostly like good people, but I’ve been known to like the odd morally grey one, so.
TBR list OR mood reader? Mood reader (What even is a TBR?)
Music while reading OR silence? Either will do. If I’m really into the book, I hyperfocus and is barely aware of anything around me, so music may as well be silence
Read in bed OR read on sofa? Both.
4. When you look for books to read, what trope, theme, or type of story will always catch your attention?
The hero’s journey is a recurring theme that I am drawn to. Fake dating is also something that I always find myself drawn to. Apart from that, I love adventures, quests, enemies to lovers, friends to lovers, found family and with benefits arrangements turning to real feelings. As long as there’s a happy ending waiting, I can read almost everything. But the happy ending is a must, and by happy ending I don’t mean the main couple being happy and everyone else suffering, nope. I want a happy ending for everyone in the book that deserves it. If not happy, at least hopeful.
5. If you were to describe your writing style using 3 words, what would they be?
Immersive, evocative and character-driven
6. So what do you write? Tell us a bit more about your chosen genre, style and ongoing projects/WIPs/series!
I write fantasy but there’s a lot of Sci Fi elements in most of my books. There’s an occasional book that’s pure fantasy, but I mostly love writing about worlds that are technologically advanced and where magic co-exists with technology. I’ve also written a purely Sci Fi series the final book of which is due to release this November.
Ongoing projects. Um. I have around 76 WIPs including fanfics and I spend my time hiding from most of them.
Right now, I’m editing a project called Changes in the Wind which has a gay main pairing who are soulmates. There’s a bit of political intrigue and found family feels as well. There’s loads and loads of angst which is something I really love to write and read.
7. What is your most recent release? Give us a short presentation, cover, and a link for where to buy it!
I have a book released this 16th titled The Banished Secret.
It’s a fantasy story set in modern day India but with alternating chapters about an ancient time as well. It’s a story of reincarnation, and revenge, and family bonds. The cover art is by Fay Lane and it is just gorgeous!
You can buy the book at https://books2read.com/u/4DKPXd
8. Last but not least: where can we find you? Drop those links!
My website is https://authorniranjan.in/
You can find me at twitter https://twitter.com/ormakal
I have an insta which I’m rarely on https://www.instagram.com/niranjanauthor/
And in case, anyone wants to take a gander at my fanfics, you can find me at AO3 as well https://archiveofourown.org/users/geethr75
I am mostly on twitter and occasionally on FB, mostly to surf cover groups and buy covers I don’t need.