Check out this author spotlight for J. A. Duxbury!
You can find all her links furthest down the page, and don’t forget to check out her books!
1. Hi! Welcome to my humble blog of all things bookish! I would like for us to start by getting to know you. Give us a short bio, please!
A. My name’s Julz, I go by the author name: J A Duxbury. I live in Perth, Western Australia, I have an undocumented Siberian cat and I have a sister in Victoria.
2. To get to know you just a little bit better, I’d like to ask you some this or that questions. Answer 5 of these and explain why you chose this or that, or maybe an entirely different alternative!
Cat or dog? Cat – Love all animals, but it’s cats over anything else.
Tea or coffee? Tea – love one called Lapsang Suchong.
Morning or evening? Depends where I am – work mornings but love sunsets.
Library or museums? Both. Haven’t been to museum in a long time.
Hunter or gatherer? Both. Love both.
Witches or wizards? Depends on what I’m writing.
Ninjas or pirates? Pirates. Although I haven’t written one yet.
Mountains or beaches? Beaches. I grew up by the water and crave it constantly.
Plotter or pantser? Bit of both. First draft pantser, other drafts plantser.
Pen and paper or computer/phone? Computer.
Standalone or series? At the moment, 2 series.
Book or ebook? Both
Hero or anti-hero? Heroes all the way.
3. When you look for books to read, what trope or type of story will always catch your attention?
A. Flawed hero. Someone who is real and overcomes great tragedies to pull off the saving of all.
4. What do you write? Tell us about your current projects and the latest happenings!
Chosen genre is science fiction, but I write from my dreams, so sometimes that isn’t. Current project is the fourth book in the Consequences series and my first fantasy novel.
5. What is your most recent release? Give us a short presentation, cover, and a link for where to buy it!
Heart of Deception is my latest release. The main character is a thief who ends up being blackmailed to work for a royal family. He is then further blackmailed and ends up saving the entire country.
6. What real-life inspiration do you draw from, and what are your primary fictional sources of inspiration (books, authors, films, music, etc.)? Name a few!
My real-life inspiration must be something in my subconscious as I write from dreams. I didn’t write for about 20 years and got back into it through fan-fiction, writing short stories out of the Babylon 5 universe for friends. That got me back into writing. Julian May is a big influence on my work and I often write action scenes to 1812 Overture.
7. What is your writing routine? If you have one, give us the run-down!
Write whenever you get a chance. I do transcriptions for work and in between jobs I write as much as I can.
8. If you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice as you started out on the path to becoming an author, what would it be?
Keep going. Keep writing. Don’t stop.
9. Last but not least: where can we find you? Drop those links!
I have an online blog at:
My published books are:
Heart of Deception: