Check out this author spotlight for fantasy writer Anne C. Miles!
You can find all the links for where to find her furthest down the page, and don’t forget to check out her books!
1. Hi! Welcome to my humble blog of all things bookish! I would like for us to start by getting to know you. Give us a short bio, please!
Hi, my name is Anne C. Miles and I wrote a book called Sorrowfish. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid, but then realized that meant I would have to go to space, and I have an irrational fear of being sucked into space. So I studied languages and design instead. I have two grown children and 4 grandchildren who I spoil whenever possible. I play violin (badly) whenever possible. I started learning so I could write my books.
2. To get to know you just a little bit better, I’d like to ask you some this or that questions. Answer 5 of these and explain why you chose this or that, or maybe an entirely different alternative!
Winter, spring, summer or autumn? Autumn because that is when the magic happens.
Cat or dog? Dog. Dogs are angels sent by God to help us through this world.
Tea or coffee? Coffee. In a vat.
Library or museums? Library because pictures and objects tell stories but not complete stories. We need words to translate those stories into the hearts of those who would find them.
Mountains or beaches? Beaches. I love the mountains but nothing beats the ocean.
Plotter or pantser? Pantser. No way am I smart enough to come up with the story on my own. I must be guided.
3. When you look for books to read, what trope or type of story will always catch your attention?
The Hero’s Journey, which is trite, but it is what I like.
4. What do you write? Tell us about your current projects and the latest happenings!
I write Fantasy. I am also finishing a ghost writing project, a memoir. The memoir is the life of the man who founded Marion Medical Mission. They build over 3000 wells a year in Africa with the help of the villagers, who maintain them after the mission leaves. It’s a fascinating story. I’m concurrently writing book 2 of my fantasy series, the Call of the Lorica.
5. What is your most recent release? Give us a short presentation, cover, and a link for where to buy it!
My first book is called Sorrowfish. It just came out on audio and I also published a Spanish version recently. It’s a portal fantasy about a bard, a wizard and a college student from Kentucky. The magic system is musical and there is also a dragon. You can learn more about it at www.sorrowfish.com It won Best Fantasy in the Indies Today Awards in 2019.
6. What real-life inspiration do you draw from, and what are your primary fictional sources of inspiration (books, authors, films, music, etc.)? Name a few!
I had this idea about songs in my head. I realized, many times they actually pertained to what was going on in my life whenever I heard them. I named the source of the songs “Cosmic DJ.” Eventually I developed the idea out and The Call of the Lorica is the result. My children and my (now deceased) dog also inspire me. My dog was an old soul and very wise and playful. He was a shih tzu and I miss him terribly.
7. What is your writing routine? If you have one, give us the run-down!
I try to write at least 500 words per day. I still have a day job, so sometimes it isn’t possible, but that is my goal.
8. If you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice as you started out on the path to become an author, what would it be?
Be patient. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
9. Last but not least: where can we find you? Drop those links!
My blog is www.annecmiles.com
The book site is www.sorrowfish.com
My Facebook Page is https://www.facebook.com/loricaAuthor
My Instagram is https://www.instagram.com/loricaauthor/